Monday, April 8, 2013

Back in Michigan!!!

My cough/losing my voice at the end of the night got better for a while, but it's gotten worse again.
Then about 3 days ago my snot turned bright yellow and we're petty sure I have a sinus infection. My cough has gotten so bad that the ribs on my left side hurt even when I'm not coughing, and it's super painful when I do cough. But, the show must go on.

I forgot to mention in the last post about the super awesome thing VIP Cory did! Towards the beginning of the Columbus show he told me he had all the merch he needed, but handed me $40 and told me to help out anyone who was thinking about getting a shirt but couldn't afford it. Thanks to him, 2 people have One-Eyed Doll shirts and someone else has a couple of CDs. Thanks Cory!

After Ohio we were in my home state of Michigan! The first show was at Harpos in Detroit. This is where I saw both Otep and One-Eyed Doll live for the first time ever. I'd been a fan of both for years and just about exploded when I found out they were going on tour together. I drove with a friend from Grand Rapids, MI to this show June 2011.

Me being all awkward and weird the first time I met Kim
The venue sucks a bit because the stage is an entire story above the crowd, and the merch is way out in the front area facing away from the stage. It got really boring and cold out there :( Junior brought me hot tea at the end though :D And I met super awesome VIPs Brad and Epiphany (who we later kidnapped). From where I was the audio also sounded distorted, but despite all of that, we were only $40 away from our bonus goal. It sucks that we were that close, but awesome that we still did that much!

At this show were my Michigan OED friends Dan, Mynka Doll (Jess) and Sean!

This guy asked sexy Kim to sign next to the sexy lady tattoo

Otep's meet and greet throne
For our VIP after party we went to Greektown! I was super excited because I'd made the 2 1/2 hour trip from Grand Rapids several times just to go there to eat at the New Parthenon restaurant and get desserts from the awesome pastry store near by. Sadly the store was closed, but we ate at a place called The Golden Fleece that was just as good and did the awesome flaming cheese thing. OPA!

(Jason hasn't posted the VIP pic on Facebook yet, or else I'd steal it and put it here)

The next show was in my hometown of Battle Creek! It felt perfectly normal being there, even though I haven't lived there in 7 years. We met up with my parents and little sister for dinner before the show. The show was at Planet Rock and I'd never been there the entire time I lived in Battle Creek. Some of the staff there was great, but some were REAL jerks. The show was pretty packed for being Battle Creek and a Sunday night, and despite a no moshing rule, the crowd was really into the show. At one point all four members of Picture Me Broken were head banging in rhythm at the same time. It was pretty epic and I wish I had a video of it. Kim wasn't feeling well before the show, and actual got sick right before they went on. She was super disoriented and out of it, but you couldn't tell by her performance. There were a few times, knowing that head of time, I wasn't sure if what she was doing was just part of her shenanigans or if she was going to pass out :( But she made it through that and meeting all of the fans afterwards.

Kim just killed all the scorpions!  YAY!!!  :D

Wizard Kim says "nom nom nom!"

That epic, Otep scream!


After the show we took our VIPs to one of my favorite late night hang out places in Battle Creek, Sweetwater's Donuts! They're open 24 hours, have a ton of awesome donut flavors, and (Junior's favorite) Fritter's as big as your head.  VIP Marty was at the Otep/OED show I was at in Muskegon the day after my first show at Harpos!

(Jason hasn't posted that VIP pic for me to steal either...)

Today is our day off. We were going to spend it in Chicago, but we're currently in Gary, IN doing laundry, getting new tires for the limo, and catching up on things. We've been trying for weeks to get out online merch orders. I even separated out all of the things I needed weeks ago, but it's either Sunday or too late by the time we have time to go to the post office. If you've ordered anything since they left for tour, it IS coming, it's just really hard to do from the road. And if you ordered a VIP, you should have gotten an e-mail about it. Just stop by the merch table with your receipt and I'll get it for you :)

Well, our laundry is almost done and this place is super creepy. Kim saw a commercial for York Peppermint Patties and went to the liquor store next door to see if they had any. She had a long discussion with the guy about Charles Manson because of her “Be My Friend” hoodie, and she was super creeped out. Then a washer stopped perfectly so the skull shirt inside was smiling at me. All the while there was an episode of Criminal Minds on the TV about a guy ritually killing girls he thought were the wives of Satan. So, we're going to go now! Audios!

4 comments:

  1. I sat here and spent a half hour reading your entire blog.! I accomplished nothing productive at all while doing so. And so?

    I enjoyed every bit of it.

    I was pleased to meet you at the big bend show, and glad to know that Kim and Jason have someone watching their backs like you.

    You were so sweet to let me help out drawing and working with me. You didn't have to, and that speaks volumes about you.

    Great to meet you Melinda, and looking forward to more blot entries. You write very well.

    Joel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! Thank you so, SO much! It was great meeting you as well. I wish we could have found the tile so Kimberly could sign it :( At least I have a picture of what we did. It'll probably end up in the blog at some point! :D

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear that you were creeped out by my Charles Manson knowledge..........Just kidding, This is VIP Mike from Knoxville. I was just thinking about what a super awesome night I had hanging out with you guys. Sara is still talking about how cool it was to meet the band and now she thinks that her uncle Mike is cool so we wont tell her any different ;) I wish I could come to another show but to quote Cheech in Cheech and Chongs next movie "Responsibility is a heavy Responsibility" Who knows may be sometime. Oh yes and get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, awesome! It never hurts to be the cool uncle :) Some people don't really understand the VIP thing and want it to be all partying and rock star stuff, but everyone who has gotten a VIP loves the quality time spent with the band and the personal connection they get. It's extremely hard to explain when trying to sell, but I don't think anyone has ever regretted getting one. OED will be on tour plenty more, and I'm hoping I'll be a around for at least some of that :)

      Delete