Thursday, October 18, 2012

Adventures in the Fabric District

On Monday, Corey, Grant and I went to check out the Fabric/Fashion District in downtown LA.  It's literally blocks of fabric sellers!  They line both sides of some streets, and they have fabric spilling out onto the sidewalks.  I wish I could have gotten a picture or something.  If you do a google image search for la fabric district you can kind of get an idea of what it's like.  It was so overwhelming at first that I couldn't even remember the things I should have been looking for until we were half way through.  There was one store we'd heard about that sells fabric for $2.50 a pound.  We found it, and Grant ended up getting all of the fabric he still needed for his Halloween costume.  In addition to fabric, there are stores selling buttons, beads, trims, rhinestones, and every thing you could possibly need for sewing, from thread and needles, to rulers and wax markers.  I'm pretty sure some of the places we passed fix machines as well.  Now I know where to go for all of my sewing needs.

We also walked past a lot of clothing stores.  They have really nice suits and fancy dresses with matching hats.  I don't know about the dresses, but the suits were insanely reasonably priced for the quality.  Grant decided to check out one of the stores for the green bowler derby he needed for his costume.  It found one in the right color, but not the right size.  So, the guy had him pay for it, then sent us a couple of blocks down the street to the warehouse to get the right size.

This is where all of you concerned about my safety should stop reading.  But because I've written that disclaimer, you're probably going to read anyway.  Don't worry, we were perfectly safe, it just sounds scarier than it actually was.

So we walk down the street with the address and phone number the guy gave Grant.  He told him it's not another store, it's the warehouse, so when we got the the address and there was just a closed gate between two stores I wasn't surprised.  Grant asked a guy sitting outside one of the stores about the address.  He told him to go around the corner to the back ally.  Now, I know what you're thinking, sketchy, dark, back allyway where people get murdered.  It was actually very sunny and wide, and people's nice cars were parked back there.  It was a little dirty, but I was more afraid we'd get yelled at for messing around back there.  We found the address but there was no door, just a freight elevator, so Grant called the number.  They said to go up the flight of stairs to the right because they were on the second floor.  So now we're going in some crazy back entrance off the back ally.  I jokingly asked Corey if they wanted me to wait downstairs so I can call 911 if they try to murder them.

It actually wasn't too bad.  It was a room packed FULL of suits, vests, shirts, etc with a few desks and a hallway leading to what I'm assuming is an even bigger back room.  There were 2 ladies working at desks, one dealing with people one the phone, one doing something on the computer, and some guys moving around stacks of clothes.  The main lady offered us a seat on the couch (which was covered in clothes) and sent a guy down the back hall to find the hat.  So Grant is now the owner of a large, forest green, bowler derby.

It was getting late and we were starting to get hungry, so while we were waiting Corey looked up places to eat on his phone.  He decided he needed to take us to King Taco.  It was only a few blocks away on the map, but it felt like we walked forever.  We also started getting away from the really "downtowny" part of downtown.  This is where I joked that Corey was now going to get us murdered (again, though, it wasn't actually that bad, I've seen worse parts of Grand Rapids).  So we made it to King Taco, and I had a pretty awesome quesadilla for $2.99 :)

On the walk back, I kept seeing these random signs, so I finally took a picture.

Orange Mushroom?
Someday I will understand what this means. I think it has something to do with the metro line that runs there.

Tuesday night, Corey was looking up doughnut places near by.  He came across reviews for Big Jim's Donuts.  They're open 24 hours, and only about a mile and a 1/2 from us.  So we went to check it out.  Long story short, the donuts are awesome and extremely reasonably priced.  I don't have a picture of the cinnamon twist because we ate it in the car on the drive back but here are the rest of them:

Apple AND Cinnamon inside, with a crispy, sugary outside coating.
Custard filled and something Maple
 We'll have to go back sometime early in the morning when things are fresh backed and they have more.

Lastly, I leave you with Tuesday night's dinner, Barilla Ditalini Soup w/Barley & Potato.


No comments:

Post a Comment