Monday, June 17, 2013

Gift tips

There were a lot of things I noticed when it came to fan gifts on the last One-Eyed Doll tour, and with another tour coming up, I thought I'd give you some tips.

It's almost always better to mail gifts.  I know you want to give them to Kim and Jason in person, but they have very limited space in the van.  Plus, things get moved around, lost, possibly searched by the police, and there's a good chance things will get ruined or lost.  You can always bring the gift to the show so Kim can put a face with the gift, but then send it to their PO Box:

ATTN: Kimberly or Junior
PO Box 80017
Austin, TX 78708  USA
That way you know for sure it will be ok.

If you want to give them food, keep in mind they live out of a van.  No microwave.  No refrigeration.  No utensils.  Things that will get stale or moldy are a bad idea.  Resealable packages are awesome!  If it's going to get stale or spill all over, it'll probably be thrown away soon after it's opened.  Also, as much as they appreciate goodies that are homemade with love, they can be questionable.  They never know what crazy fan may be trying to drug them.  Or maybe you didn't realize the milk you used was expired and now they both have food poisoning.  You never know what might go wrong.  The van can also get warm sometimes sitting in the sun, so stay away from things that might get melty.

Some things we went through a lot of on tour - Dried Seaweed, Japanese fruit jelly cups, Tea Bags (Kim has a herbal throat coat tea she likes, I don't know exactly what it's called, but we all drank a lot of various teas as well), Emergen-C, dried fruit, pretty much anything yummy and healthy to snack on that you can get from Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, etc.  Kim also mentioned once that Hi-Chews were her favorite candy.

Kim is allergic to bananas, a certain preservative they use in some dried fruits (a quick google search makes me think it's Sulfur Dioxide, but I'm not 100% sure), and cats.  As far as I know, Jason's good with just about everything

Hmm...  I thought I had more tips when I started this.  Well, if I think of anything else I'll let you know!

1 comment:

  1. I def know about the cats! Thankfully I had benedryl when they stayed at our home with 2 kitties lol. I had cleaned up and vacuumed several times before they came and that seemed to help. :~)
    The mailing thing is a very good idea. While they were visiting us, I gave them a shrinky dink of them that I made and I'd be really surprised if they still have it after so many years and tours. I'd say for sure show it to them/her and then mail it!

    ReplyDelete