Friday, June 21, 2013

Pre-Polkadot

As I mentioned before, One-Eyed Doll is heading back out for a mini-tour.  What I haven't mentioned because I've been so busy with work and making sure it's being organized, is Mike and I are going again!  It's a short tour, and there's no wifi in our van this time, but I'm hoping to attempt to blog again.

Tuesday I flew out of Long Beach, CA.  I was a little nervous because I've only flown about 4 or 5 times before, never flown by myself, and never even been to this airport.  Things went super well though.  Corey drove me to the airport, and we left early so we'd get there with plenty of time.  We'd planned on getting some lunch once we made it to Long Beach, but there was nothing around the airport, and we didn't want to spend money on parking, so he just dropped me off.  I got checked in and through security.  The machine randomly selected me for extra screening, which meant they swabbed my shoes and put the swab in a machine to test it.  It came back negative and sent me on my way.  Only took about an extra minute.

The airport was really small.  I've never been to an airport this small before.  For the first time I walked out on the cement and up a ramp to get into a plane.  Here's me plane, with a minions blimp on the background:


While waiting I grabbed some coffee, sushi, and a "Southern Style" red velvet cupcakes for later, and read my book.  The wait wasn't very long at all.  And because it was a small plane, maybe 80 people max, it was quick boarding.  My seat was in the very last row, across from the back lavatory.  It was really loud back there.  Luckily I had a window seat so it wasn't so claustrophobic.  They served complimentary pop, coffee, water, etc and food and alcohol for an additional cost.  I skimmed through the US Airways magazine, and before I knew it we were in Phoenix already.  I was staying on the same plane to get to Austin, but I still had to de-board and re-board.  When leaving I asked the guy at the counter when re-board was.  He said it was in 27 minutes, and asked me where my seat was.  I told him, and his response was "That's a TERRIBLE seat!" There were a few open seats still at that time, and he moved me to a window seat in the emergency exit row.  So from Phoenix to Austin it was quieter, and I had more leg room.  We also got complimentary drinks again. 

Over all the flights went super well, and we ended up landing in Austin a bit before 11pm.  Junior picked me up from the airport and we went to get Kim form her friend Crystal's apartment.  I finally got to meet Crystal!!!  We became friends on Facebook at the beginning of last tour, but she was sick the day of the Austin show :(  She's also been a loyal reader of my blog :)  Hi Crystal!!!  *waves*  We grabbed some dinner with her, then packed up some stuff from the practice room Kim and Jason had been renting, and headed to the hotel room they've been staying in.

Wednesday we picked Mike up, ran some errands, then spent the afternoon in 100 degree weather moving things out of their storage unit to get to the merch we needed in back.  It sucked, but we got it done.  Dropped Mike back off so he could go to a birthday party, then had sushi at Kim and Jason's favorite sushi place made by their favorite sushi chef, Toshi.  He made me an AMAZING veggie roll packed with all sorts of yummy things.  Afterwards we stopped for Kim's newest addiction - shaved ice.  Not like a snow cone, it's more like an ice cream with toppings.

Thursday was spent finishing up errands before leaving Austin, like getting the van's oil changed and eating at delicious Pars Mediterranean Deli while waiting, packing up the practice space. Then (way later then intended) we headed to Johnny's Zero's house in Dallas for the night.  And here we are, Friday morning afternoon, hanging out at Johnny Zero's before making our way to the first show in Joliet, IL  :)

3 comments:

  1. It's cool to hear that you're on the road again. I'm pretty jealous since I'm dying to go on tour at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's almost how Mike ended up on tour (you probably already know this from his blog), he made a goal to go on tour in 5 years and around the 5 year anniversary Jason asked him to go. Any local bands that do small road-trip like tours that might let you tag along for experience? I can't remember, do you have a band at the moment or do you just play?

      Delete
    2. I have a band (Plug:www.facebook.com/antizombie.rock) and I'm actually moving in a few weeks to pursue it more fully though I think we're a ways away from touring. I may ask around and see if anyone in my area is road tripping and need an extra pair of hands.

      Delete