Sunday, January 20, 2013

Why my roommates are still awesome + more days off

I feel like I'm constantly behind on this blog and trying hard not to forget everything that's happened.  I guess it's good because if I updated everyday some days you'd get boring posts about how I slept in, got ready for work, worked, got out of work late, came home, ate a grilled cheese from In & Out, watched Corey play video games, then went to bed so I could get up for work the next morning.  Plus updating 1-2 times a week give people a chance to catch up if they don't have time to come here very often.  So now I have to remember what happened since the last time.  Let's see...

Last Saturday my friends had a get together for Rachel's birthday.  Rachel and Jeremy are married and both originally from Ohio.  They were at our Thanksgiving party.  The get together started at 10, and I was supposed to get out of work at 10:30. Well, being the weekend and being understaffed due to hour cuts, I didn't get out until 11:15.  And the only reason I punched out at 11:15 was because I was going to hit my 5th hour after lunch (CA has laws about how many hours you can work before taking a lunch break, and Target takes it even further.  It's a HUGE deal if you accidentally work 5 full ours straight, even if you're over by a minute.  People have been fired because of it).  Luckily the bar they were meeting at was almost right across the street.  Grant and Adam were just getting there as I was walking up.  After the bar closed we walked to Rachel and Jeremy's apartment, which is just down the road from where I live, to hang out.

That night, I met Mary's friend Bess from Minnesota.  Apparently she just showed up at our apartment that afternoon.  Based on talking to her and something Mary said, it sounds like a group of them drove out here to Sacramento to help a friend move.  She then flew from Sacramento to LA to visit Mary and Mary's old roommate which was a childhood friend. She was only here for a couple of days before having to fly back, and I was at work most of the time, but she sounded like she enjoyed it out here and might come back sometime when she has more time so she can do more touristy things.

Monday was supposed to start my 4 days off in a row, but Target called and asked if I could work from 3:30-8.  I got there and my manager said "I was hoping it was you they called in."  :)  She was also hoping to finally get me certified, but we were, of course, busy.  She also thought I was there as a 3rd closer, but didn't realize I was only scheduled until 8 until I punched out, and by then it was too late to change it.  It would have been nice to get a couple of extra hours, but I was also so exhausted from working all weekend that it was nice to be able to come home early.

Mary cleaned out her old car to start showing to to people, and she gave me a TON on fabric she didn't want anymore, along with some thread and ribbon :)  Best roommate ever!

Corey had Tuesday off as well, but I can't remember if we did anything that day.  Wednesday I got some laundry done and cleaned up a bit.  Dee went to Ikea and bought us a nice Dining room table as a belated Christmas/New Years gift!  So we can actually sit at a nice table to eat, or have extra prep room.  Before we just had a dirty folding table with a leg that kept collapsing that the old roommates found on the curb.  We spent the evening hanging out around the table in celebration.

More space for bread baking!
Thursday I baked some bread.  My sister Leslie's been bugging me about sending her some of the bread I baked so I was going to send her one of the loaves Friday.  I looked into shipping costs though and it would be roughly $36 to overnight it, or $15 to get it there by Tuesday (and it probably wouldn't be as good by then).  Sorry, too much!  So we're just going to have to eat it.  Darn...


I also walked down to Jo-Ann Fabrics to get a few things for a skirt I've been working on altering.  They were having a going out of business sale!  Everything was 75% off, but there wasn't much left, and now I don't know where there's a fabric store within walking distance :(

No comments:

Post a Comment