Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Halloween and Birthdays

Saturday the 27th was Grant's birthday, and the weekend before Halloween. We didn't really know what was going on (roommate and friends were going to a yacht party, but it cost $50 to get in or $100 for VIP) so we decided to have a Halloween/Birthday party at our house. I still hadn't figured out how our oven works, it gets too hot or is small and cooks too fast or something, and my nutella cupcakes and meringue bones didn't turn out :(


But, since we don't know that many people out here and planned it last minute, no one really showed up. Lol. It was still fun though, and I at least have a couple of really good friends out here.

Boog trying to lick Sophie, Sohpie trying not to get licked
Grant as the Riddler
Monday Mary's friend Matt flew in from Minnesota for the week.

Tuesday was my birthday! I've gotten lots of cards, letters and gifts. Thank you all! :) I bought myself a book about baking bread and I got some handy things to help with baking, including an oven thermometer which will help a bit with the oven temp issues.  I baked bread the other day, and our oven may run 50degrees hotter than what the knob says.


I pretty much just spent the day being lazy since I'd been so busy taking care of my car, looking for a job, etc. I'll have to write about my 3 hours at the DMV sometime, but it may need it's own entry. The day started with Corey making cheese souffles for breakfast.


 
He also made English muffins from my bread book.



That night I wanted to walk down to The Cheesecake Factory and get cheesecake for my birthday. Well, I happened to check my e-mail and found a coupon for a free cupcake at the place with the cupcake ATM. I'd forgotten I'd signed up with them before we went last time. It was good that day only, and it's all the way in Beverly Hills. Then I remembered that the one time I was out in LA before moving out here, my friend's dad took us to The Cheesecake Factory in Beverly Hills. So I looked it up and it was right around the corner, maybe 2 blocks away from the cupcake place. So for my birthday we went and got my free cupcake to bring home, then went and got cheesecake. Mine was “Mango Key Lime Cheesecake - Topped with Mango Mousse on a Vanilla Coconut Macaroon Crust” Corey got some sort of Raspberry Lemon. Mine was definitely better :)

My Birthday Cupcake!
Corey's birthday was Wednesday, and, of course, it was also Halloween. I used the English muffins to make a homemade Egg McMuffin type thing. Not nearly as fancy as the souffles, but still good. We didn't really do anything during the day. That night a group of us went out to Hollywood. It was a bit crazy. Mary's friend Dee from Thailand lost her phone and purse, Matt lost his ID, Matt got lost, and apparently there was a shooting just North of where we went just before we got there. But we all eventually made it back safe and sound.  I also didn't really take any pictures that night, so here are some stolen from Mary.

Clockwise: Grant, Corey, Me, Matt, Emmy, Angelo, Mary and Dee w/Boog

Friday I drove Dee and Matt downtown to where Mary works so she could take Matt to the airport  on her lunch break.  Luckily Matt got through even though he didn't have his ID.  Also, Dee might have a job in the US.  She postponed her flight 2 weeks while she waits to hear back about the job offer.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment