Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Stupid DMV

I feel really behind on this blog.  My list of things to write about keeps getting longer and longer.

Even though hours have been cut, work has been keeping me busy.  I work weekends mostly, which leaves me absolutely exhausted.  And every time I think about finding a new/second job because I'm not getting enough hours, someone gives me a shift, I have to stay late, and/or I get called in on my day off.  I'm finally Starbucks certified though!  There was a Friday night the person I was supposed to close with called in.  It was crazy busy, we ended up closing early and the person that was supposed to leave at 8 stayed late to help me out.  Apparently I did I good job closing by myself though, so they made sure to get me certified the next week :)  Everyone at work really likes me too.  I've been told by several people that Target did a good job hiring me and they're glad I'm there.  One person even said they should get rid of a couple of people that were there before me, but keep me and give all of us more hours.  With the exception of one guy though, we have a pretty good team.

I still also can't get over the fact that in February I can walk to work in short sleeves and sunglasses.

I have been managing to get some stuff done on my days off.  One day, between running errands, I managed to bake this Cranberry-Almond Celebration Bread.  Dee helped with the top braid.  I didn't get a picture of the inside because we ate it too fast.


A few Saturdays ago Dee's co-worker Karla put together a Girl's Night Out in Hollywood.  I worked until 8 that night, but booked it home, quick showered, threw on a dress, and shoved food in my face while putting on make-up.  We picked up Rachel (I finally got to ride in the Mustang!), and met the rest of the girls in Hollywood.  It was a fun night out.


Karla's friend, Me, Mary, Karla's friend, Dee, Karla, and Rachel
I've also spent too much of my time on my days off dealing with the DMV.  Late October I went to the CA DMV to register my car and get my CA drivers license. I was prepared to wait, brought a book and a snack and spent 3 hours there. It had been a few months and the paperwork STILL hadn't come. My temporary paper license expired late December, and they punched out the expiration date on my MI one, so I technically didn't have a valid driver's license. I tried calling the DMV one morning, but there was a 2 hour wait just to talk to someone on the phone, and I had to work later. I waited until I had a day off and called in the morning. There was an hour wait, but they have it set up so you can leave your number, and they'll call you back when it's your turn.  It only actually took about 30 minutes for them to call me back. They can't find anything in their system about my car by looking up my plate # OR the VIN... They found my license application. Apparently they forgot to put in the system that the physical driving test was waved because I had an out of State license. So the system is saying I still need to complete part 2. She said to just go into the office to have them wave the driving test because she can't do it over the phone. And while I'm there, take in all my paperwork for my car so they can figure out why it's not in the system.  (How do they give out license plates but not put records of it in the system?) She asked if I wanted to make an appointment. I did. They didn't have anything available until Feb. 5. I didn't have my schedule for that week yet, and I didn't want to ask for days off and risk not getting enough hours, so I was going to wait.  Later, I tried looking up appointments at the Pasadena DMV because it's not very far away and I heard it's not as busy.  They had an appointment for Jan 28th at 11:30am, so I booked it.

It was about a 15 minute drive there.  There was no line for appointments, so I pretty much walked right up to the window.  I got a number, sat down, opened my book, and almost immediately had my number called.  They waved my driving test, gave me a new temporary license, and said my CA one should be in the mail in a few weeks.  My car however, is not in the system.  Most likely, when they went to audit it, there was some paperwork missing.  Usually they send the paperwork back or send you a letter telling you to come back in.  I didn't receive either.  So most likely my paperwork is sitting in the first office somewhere.  I have to go there to deal with it, and if they can't find it, I have to start all over again.  Which is going to be even more of a hassle because they took my MI title.  I'd better not have to pay again either.  People have told me that if I have to start all over again I should sue the DMV for wasting my time since they're the ones who have been screwing up.  Over all, I was only at the Pasadena DMV for 15 minutes!  But, I now have to go back to the first DMV to get my car figured out.

While waiting at a stop light in Pasadena, I got these pretty pictures of the mountains.



And, my CA drivers license is already here!


I got home from Pasadena and tried to set up an appointment at the other DMV.  There wasn't anything available until the 11th.  Of course, I didn't have my schedule for that week yet.  I figured I'd just have to go super early one morning when I had the day off and wait another 3 hours.  Luckily, the day I got my new schedule I looked up appointments.  I have an appointment at 10:30 on the 14th, which I have off.  Hopefully that means I can get all of this done and over with, and not have to wait nearly as long.

And that's all for now because I have to go get ready for work!

No comments:

Post a Comment