Sunday, September 23, 2012

Ikea and Rockstars

Saturday night we moved all of our stuff in, then slept in super late Sunday.  Who knew driving for 4 days could be so exhausting!  Sunday afternoon was spent playing at Ikea.  And when I say playing, I mean wearing a red trash can on my head pretending to be Devo, hitting Corey with cushions, climbing through the children's tunnel, etc.  It was my first time at Ikea, and there's so much stuff there!  And a lot of it's cheap compared to everywhere else.  I think it would have taken just as long even if I didn't spend so much time goofing off. We got some stuff so we had places to put things as we unpacked.  We made another trip there Tuesday, and I think we're going to have to go back one more time.

Monday we went to the Glendale Galleria.  I'm not a fan of crowds and huge stores, but the 3 story Target was pretty awesome!  There's SO much in that mall, and it's SO close!  It's weird how a couple of streets over it's a super busy, downtown area, then where I am is all residential.  I also found the Melinda store at the Galleria.  It's called Sockbroker.  They have all sorts of colored/patterned stockings, tutus, fuzzy boot covers.  I made it a point to not go in because I would have spent forever looking around and probably tried to buy a bunch of stuff.  Once I have a job I'll have to go look.  Or I could just get a job there :)

Monday night was spent at the famous Whisky a Go Go.  If you don't know what the Whisky is, you should read it's wikipedia page.  Many famous bands have played there or got their start there.  Why was I there?  As you may or may not know, a couple of years ago I befriended a band from Texas called One-Eyed Doll.  They're on tour with Otep again, another band I like.  I was supposed to go to their show in Battle Creek last month, but it was cancelled.  We did meet up for lunch in Grand Rapids the next day though.  I was talking about how I was moving to LA, and it turns out they were playing a show in Hollywood 2 days later.  They said Corey and I had to come out to the show, and they'd introduce us to their contacts out there.  So, little Melinda from Battle Creek, MI was at the famous Whisky a Go Go hanging out with rock stars in Hollywood, CA.  :oD

Kimberly of One-Eyed Doll

Otep

Me with Otep!!!

New friends!
After the show we got to hang out with the other VIPs because Corey and I have become unofficial lifetime VIPs.  We crammed 7 of us into their tour van - there were 3 people sitting on the back bed area with me lying across it in front of them, and 3 people in the front seats. I wish I could have gotten a picture of it! They played us 3 tracks off of the new album that hasn't been released yet.  Since Kimberly and Jason couldn't fit into the van with us, they were outside singing along and dancing for us.  They put on quite the show :) Afterwards we all went to Mel's Diner down the road.  I had my first celebrity siting here.  Unfortunately it was adult film star Ron Jeremy.  At some point in the night Kimberly mentioned she liked my skirt and boots (which were hand glitter sprayed painted for my Halloween costume, per Stephanie's suggestion).  Her and Jason are coming back through the LA area when the tour's over and wanted to meet up, and I told Kimberly we should spend the whole day making new costumes for her.  That would make my year if I could spend the whole day making costumes for her.  I wouldn't even need to get paid!  It'd be awesome if I got to the point where I just got paid to make crazy costumes all day.  That's why I came out here :)

We didn't get home until after 4am, so most of Tuesday was spent sleeping.  Then there was another trip to Ikea to get a few more things now that we were partially unpacked and had a better idea of what we needed.

Wednesday we FINALLY signed the lease and got our own keys.

Thursday we learned that Corey's friend Grant had moved to LA about a week before we did and was currently staying at a place only about 15 minutes away!  So Thursday night we hung out with him.

Friday was  spent catching up on things and then another trip out for more groceries we decided we needed.  It's awesome because Whole Foods, Ralphs (think Spartan Store), and Trader Joe's are all right by each other.  Whole Foods is awesome, but may cause me to go broke.  It's definitely a once in a while for special items type of place :)  I haven't been to Trader Joe's yet, but I've heard lots of good things about it.

Saturday we finally checked out one of the Goodwills near by.  We bought a few kitchen things, and I got a dress and skirt to alter.  :oD  Then we went and walked about the Americana.  It's another giant mall, but it's outside.  It's also right across the street from the Galleria I mentioned earlier.  It's crazy the amount of shopping that goes on around here.  And it's right down the road from me!

Next week, in addition to looking for a job, will hopefully be spent meeting up with other people I know who are in the area.  Plus maybe that other trip to Ikea for a book shelf so I can finish unpacking...

No comments:

Post a Comment