Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Having too much fun is a good thing

Where am I? What day is it? When was the last time I wrote something? Honestly these questions aren't a bad thing. It just means I've been busy doing exciting things. I just hope I don't forget to write about all of them. I've been keeping little notes, but they're scattered in about 5 different places.

I think I left off after the Wichita, KS show. The next night we were in Oklahoma City, OK. We had an awesome VIP named Patrick (aka Kevin)! He followed the VIP directions, which I'll have to post for you sometime, very well. He came up to me and gave a compliment with out being creepy. Go Patrick! Kimberly started the VIP hangout-ness while I was still packing up, so I didn't really hang out with Patrick much. :( Boo!

Otep's drummer Justin also hurt himself before this show. From what I heard he tripped and cut his foot all the way down to the tendon. Mike and Shaun, the drummer from Picture Me Broken, went and got him gauze and stuff. Now the Otep crew has 2 hurt feet.

Kimberly's cousin was at the OKC show! Her and her husband were amazing and bought us dinner. They also had a house in the area they were trying to sell that still had a couch and beds and stuff in it that they offered to us. So we yet again got to sleep somewhere other than the limo, and Jason managed a shower. If you happen to read this, Thank you again! You're amazing!

The next show was in Little Rock, AR. On the way, I bought myself this epic mug so I'd stop wasting so many disposable cups.


Little Rock, AR

At least the wall blocking our view of the stage made it feel like we could see...
The venue in Little Rock served food, including deep fried Oreos that Tristan got. He let me try some. AMAZING!!! If you ever have a chance to try deep fried Oreos, DO IT! Or maybe you shouldn't because they're awesome and you're going to want more. Also at this venue there's a bench with band stickers all over it. I got one of the guys helping out there to put a OED sticker on it for me, and he stuck another on a pillar somewhere. We're leaving our mark everywhere!!

While the first of the two opening bands was playing, a guy who was clearly already drunk came is and wanted a OED shirt. He accidentally handed me an extra $5 and when I tried to give it back, he told me to keep it. I gladly accepted it as my adorableness convenience fee. Plus that was 5 less dollars he could spend on more alcohol. Later, security noticed him. They didn't want to kick him out since it was still so early, so they took his wrist band, got him some food, and sat him down. They told him he could stay, but if they caught him drinking they were going to kick him out. Way to go staff for taking care of your patrons!

Later when Junior was at the table, he bought another shirt. Junior almost talked him into getting the 7CD pack for $60. He spent a while going through his wallet and pockets looking for money, but in the end only had enough for 1 CD. Should we feel bad about taking all of his money? He, and other guys I've dealt with, willfully came up to the table and didn't need much to talk him into buying stuff. I wonder if I should add conning drunk men out of money to my resume, or does that make me sound like a stripper?

While the drunk guy was at our table there was a girl helping me hold the table so he didn't knock it over. After he left, she asked “Is this supposed to be here” while pointing to a huge joint. It must have come out of his pocket or wallet while he was searching for money. We had a laugh over it and she took care of it for us.
Kim's helpers for a song
At this show we had 3 VIPs. One of which was Natalie (aka Natasha) who's also going to be our VIP at several other shows. We talked for a long time and I'm really looking forward to hanging out with her at more shows! After the show we all went to Ihop. Best Ihop experience ever! Our waiter Michael was GREAT! He had a feisty, fun attitude and was a load of fun. At the end of the night his manager took a picture of him with us. Someone at another table took a picture of us having our picture taken, and someone at yet another table took a picture of him, taking a picture of us having our picture taken. It turned into a huge crazy party involving half of Ihop. Jason gave everyone stickers, got some business cards, and told everyone to be sure to post the pictures on Facebook. So far we've already had one!
My Photo
Another Guy's Photo
Junior getting contact info

Kimberly resisting arrest
Next it was on to Longview, TX. This was only my second time in TX. Then again, it was my first time in Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Arkansas, and I've only ever stayed in a hotel in Oklahoma while driving through. But TX is especially important because that's where Kim, Junior and Mike all live. For at least the time being.... I'm going to make them move to Los Angeles so they can hang out with me all of the time! :D

We got to the venue early, so we did some shopping! Did you know Paula Dean makes skillet dessert candles? Me either, but she does!
Wait, what?!?!
The venue was a weird little bar with not much room in front of the stage.



They had a really funny dress code sign too.  Mike got a photo that I need to steal.

I got stuck in a weird spot next to the stage. It was great for taking pictures, except it was too dark for them to really turn out :(

Shaun, Dante and Jimmy of Picture Me Broken, Brooklyn was too far forward

One-Eyed Doll, and the back of Mike

The one and only OTEP!!!!

Drumming with green lights for St. Patty's day:

 We also had two adorable VIPs!!!! Let me tell you a bit of a story first...
A while ago Veronica Varlow, one of Emilie Autumn's Bloody Crumpets, liked a page for Casanova Cupcake I kept seeing them tagged in Emilie Autumn show pictures too. I checked out their page and they seemed awesome so I liked their page to check out more later. However, being on tour I have very little time. I was talking to the 2 VIPs before the show and they reminded me of them. But, not knowing much about them I was afraid to ask. Finally I broke down towards the end of the night and asked them if they'd heard of Emilie Autumn. They said they'd preformed with her, and I called them Casanova Cupcake and fan girled out on them. How random is that! After the show I showed them my Bloody Crumpet Halloween costume and they signed a CD for Kimberly that they said she had to share with me. :D They were awesome and absolute sweethearts! I hope to run into them again some day!

 
Since the next show was in Austin, we dropped Mike off at home and the rest of us stayed the night at Jason's house. Yay for a bed and shower! It's funny what little things can make you happy when you live out of a van. I'll have to write about the Austin show in the next journal though because this is getting long and I need to update inventory numbers.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Melinda, the Little Rock show was awesome, and I'm glad you talked me into buying a cd. I know you see and talk to a lot of people, but you and I talked for a good 10 minutes or more. My name is Sterling. I don't know if you will remember me, but I really enjoyed our little chat. Anyway... I love your blog page you have going here, it's very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The terrible thing about meeting so many people is that I remember you introducing yourself (I think you're the only Sterling I've ever met!), but I can't picture your face :( I'm glad you liked One-Eyed Doll and enjoy my blog. Hopefully I'll be by there again sometime with OED!!! :D

      Delete